As you and your business become more visible on the internet you may also become an unwitting target of phishing. Disreputable folks may use your Domain Name renewal as bait on the hook for your attention. If you bite, you give them valuable personal information which could be used to take control of your domain name, or worse! ….do not react and bite.
Phishing is “the act of attempting to acquire information
(and sometimes, indirectly, money) such as usernames,
passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a
trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.”
– Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
Better inform and protect yourself:
1) When in doubt, read and do nothing
2) Read the document again, does everything add up?
3) Verify the sender and the sending email account used are the same.
4) If there are links (do not click them)
5) Do not open attachments
6) Do not click links
7) Ask advise, try Google or Snopes to verify its not a scam
Protect yourself by knowing your business information, reading and understanding what is being sent to you and why.